If you've been following along, you're likely aware of my affinity for pearls. Specifically, I have a soft spot for baroque pearls, celebrated for their unique, uneven shapes, textured surfaces, vibrant colours, and surprisingly lightweight feel. Each baroque pearl is a one-of-a-kind masterpiece, distinguishing itself from the rest.
Today, I'd like to delve deeper into what makes pearls so remarkable:
1) Sustainability: Pearls are hailed as one of the most sustainable "gemstones." Unlike traditional mining, pearls are cultivated in controlled environments. Mussels are intentionally implanted with foreign material, which cannot be expelled. To ease irritation, the mollusk envelops the intruder with nacre, the same substance used for shell-building. When ready, these pearls are harvested, not mined like traditional gemstones.
2) Zero Waste: Pearl production is a zero-waste process. Every element of the pearl has a purpose. From the shells, which are repurposed for mother-of-pearl buttons, inlays, and jewellery, to the meat, which serves as food, fertilizer, and bait, nothing goes to waste.
3) Female Employment: Pearls farms provide employment opportunities for many women, a notable departure from the often male-dominated gemstone mining industry.
4) Birthstone of June: Pearls hold the honour of being the birthstone for the month of June, adding to their mystique.
5) Quality Considerations: When selecting pearls, exercise caution. Unlike other gemstones, there is no universal grading standard for pearl quality. Each manufacturer has its unique classification system, so what one labels as AAA quality may equate to AA+ quality elsewhere.
Now, let's turn our attention to pearl care:
- Pearls have a unique vitality, benefiting from the natural oils of your skin. Wearing them regularly helps maintain their luster and hydration.
- Due to their porous surfaces, pearls should avoid contact with cosmetics, perfumes, and hairspray. Adorn your jewellery when you're ready to step out.
- Cleaning pearls is a breeze; a gentle wipe with a lukewarm cloth is all it takes.
- To safeguard against surface scratches, store your pearl jewelry inside a soft cotton pouch.
I trust you'll find this information enlightening and enjoyable!